An old COVID-19 infection has been detected in a traveller from Victoria, a day after South Australia opened its borders to all states and territories.
But Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier says the positive result is not a concern and won’t be added to the state’s tally of coronavirus cases.
“Because they had to have the testing when they came in….they’re still shedding a month later,” Professor Spurrier told ABC radio on Wednesday.
“They’re not infectious so they’re no risk to the community.
“In fact, they won’t become an active case for us in our state because they’ve already been counted as a case in Victoria.”
Prof Spurrier also reaffirmed that SA does not currently have a local virus outbreak.
Under SA’s new travel rules, anyone coming into the state must be double vaccinated and use a new online border entry process known as EntryCheck SA, which assesses an individual’s vaccination status, departure location and COVID-19 risk.
Based on the information provided, travellers may also be prompted to use a new HealthCheck SA app, which will help them monitor daily symptoms and guide them through any testing and quarantine requirements.
In most cases, travellers are required to have a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of departure.
Unvaccinated travellers will be required to seek a special exemption with applications to be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
So far more than 60,000 people have registered to come into SA in the coming days and weeks.