The Kate Sheppard Home has scooped the supreme award on the Canterbury Heritage Awards.
The Christchurch villa was the headquarters for Sheppard’s suffragist marketing campaign and the place her 270-metre petition was glued collectively, serving to win the ladies’s proper to vote in 1893.
It has since been tailored to showcase Sheppard’s life and achievements and the suffrage motion.
The home was additionally awarded the Heritage New Zealand award for excellent contribution to heritage.
It was one in every of 9 winners throughout six classes at tonight’s ceremony in Christchurch.
Chair of the awards Dame Anna Crighton stated there was stiff competitors and the judges had a troublesome time selecting their winners amongst this 12 months’s finalists.
“The benchmark of the entries was set actually excessive – even to make the ultimate is a significant achievement this 12 months in opposition to stiff competitors.
“The event was to applaud, acclaim and have fun the work from all entrants.”
Through the awards ceremony 16 of the 62 entrants have been awarded with extremely counseled placings, with an extra six receiving counseled.
The winners have been:
- Moveable Feasts Heritage Tourism Award – Awaroa/Godley Head Coastal Defence Website (Division of Conservation). A certificates of particular recognition went to the Riverside Market Mural (Riverside Ltd).
- Ceres NZ Public Realm – Saved and Restored Award – Joint winners: Faculty of Artwork, The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora (The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora) and Balmoral Hearth Lookout (Hawarden Waikari Lions Membership)
- Maiden Group Home Saved and Restored Award – Joint winners: Montrose Station Homestead (Wilson & Hill Architects) and The Britten Stables (Isabelle and Tim Weston)
- Heritage New Zealand Excellent Contribution to Heritage Award – Te Whare Waiutuutu Kate Sheppard Home (Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga)
- In reminiscence of Stephen Collins Seismic Award – Sacred Coronary heart Basilica (WSP NZ Ltd)
- Warren and Mahoney Future Heritage Award – Tūranga Christchurch Central Library (Architectus)
- ChristchurchNZ Supreme Award and recipient of the Blue Plaque – Te Whare Waiutuutu Kate Sheppard Home (Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga)