Commander of Particular Forces to get replaced ‘instantly,’ CAF chief of defence employees says

2021-05-03 01:31:00

The Canadian Armed Forces’ appearing chief of the defence employees says he has directed the commander of the Canadian Particular Operations Forces Command to go away his submit “instantly.” The assertion comes following stories that the commander wrote a personality reference for one more service member who had been convicted of six legal counts, together with sexual assault.

In a press release issued Sunday, Lieutenant-Basic Wayne Eyre stated Maj-Gen. Peter Dawe will go away the place and command will instantly be turned over to BGen Steve Boivin.

Bovin presently serves because the pressure’s deputy commander.

Learn extra:
Commander of Particular Forces to get replaced early after mishandling sexual assault case

“It has develop into more and more clear to me that MGen Peter Dawe’s actions 4 years in the past round sending a personality reference are inflicting division and anger inside the CAF,” Eyre stated in an emailed assertion to World Information.

Story continues beneath commercial

“His return and future employment will probably be decided and communicated sooner or later. MGen Dawe agrees this determination is greatest for the establishment.”

World Information has reached out to the Canadian Particular Operations Forces Command for remark, however didn’t instantly hear again.

The information comes simply two days after the Division of Nationwide Defence confirmed Dawe would get replaced subsequent week, relatively than the anticipated change of his command this summer time.

Dawe’s early alternative was first reported by CBC Information.


Click to play video: 'Trudeau acknowledges years of ‘inadequate’ measures on sexual misconduct in military'







Trudeau acknowledges years of ‘insufficient’ measures on sexual misconduct in army


Trudeau acknowledges years of ‘insufficient’ measures on sexual misconduct in army

On Wednesday, CBC reported that Dawe had submitted a personality reference letter to a choose in 2017, previous to the sentencing of Maj. Jonathan Hamilton.

Hamilton was convicted in Might. The choose discovered him responsible of unlawfully getting into the house of former CAF members Annalise and Kevin Schamuhn, sexually assaulting Annalise on two separate events, and bodily assaulting Kevin Schamuhn twice.

Story continues beneath commercial

Dawe’s letter to the choose, nevertheless, described Hamilton as “a person of nice character and management earlier than being engulfed in PTSD” from a number of deployments to Afghanistan, and was cited by the choose throughout Hamilton’s sentencing, CBC reported.

Chatting with CBC on Wednesday, Kevin Schamuhn referred to as the Dawe’s reference “an especially painful betrayal.”

“By far, worse than something I had ever skilled in fight,” he beforehand stated.

“Of all of the enemies I fought abroad, none of them have that degree of entry to my private life and to the vulnerability of my household.”

Learn extra:
Right here’s what we learn about how the army sexual misconduct assessment will work

Dawe apologized in an open letter despatched Thursday, obtained by World Information.

“Whereas my intent to assist could have been purely pushed, it’s clear that the impression of my actions was profoundly dangerous to the sufferer and her partner,” Dawe wrote.

“Furthermore, I didn’t contemplate how my actions can be seen by different silent survivors of sexual assault in our ranks.”

Eyre stated in his assertion on Sunday that he was assured Dawe had realized from what he described as a “tragic case.” He added that he has requested “clear route be made out there concerning character references for circumstances of authorized proceedings.”

Story continues beneath commercial


Click to play video: 'Military faces second external review of sexual misconduct since 2015'







Navy faces second exterior assessment of sexual misconduct since 2015


Navy faces second exterior assessment of sexual misconduct since 2015

Eyre stated the directive will probably be printed on-line within the close to future.

“Whereas I don’t count on these measures to proper the wrongs of the previous, or ease the sense of betrayal felt by the Schamuhn household, we should continue learning and guarantee such conditions aren’t repeated going ahead,” Eyre’s assertion learn.

“In doing so, we should at all times have the victims’ perspective on the forefront and be accountable for our actions. We should do higher.”

The early change in command comes simply 4 days after Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan introduced an unbiased, exterior assessment into sexual misconduct within the Canadian Armed Forces led by former Supreme Court docket justice Louise Arbour.

Learn extra:
Sajjan refuses to say whether or not he knew 2018 Vance grievance was sexual in nature

Story continues beneath commercial

The assessment goals to supply suggestions for an unbiased reporting system in order that army members can share allegations of sexual misconduct outdoors of the army chain of command — a key request by victims and survivors who say they’ve for too lengthy confronted reprisals for coming ahead.

“I’m actually sorry,” Sajjan stated Thursday.

“We now have heard you, we’ve listened, and we’re taking motion.”

The CAF is going through a reckoning over years of sexual misconduct allegations. The announcement comes after World Information first reported former chief of defence employees Gen. Jonathan Vance was going through allegations of inappropriate behaviour in February.

Vance has denied all wrongdoing.

— With information from World Information’s Sean Boynton, World Information’s Amanda Connolly and CBC Information 




© 2021 World Information, a division of Corus Leisure Inc.


#Commander #Particular #Forces #changed #instantly #CAF #chief #defence #employees

Supply by [earlynews24.com]